What is wine?
Wine (from the Latin vinum) is a drink obtained from the grape (Vitis vinifera species) by alcoholic fermentation of its must or juice.
This fermentation is produced by the metabolic action of yeast, which transforms the sugars of the fruit into alcohol (ethanol) and this chemical reaction releases gas in the form of carbon dioxide (CO2).
However, wine is a sum of environmental factors such as:
- Variety of grapes: each variety is expressed differently and has its characteristics. Even the same variety in different geographical regions can give us different results.
- Climate: defined by latitude and altitude.
- Soil: defined by orientation, type of soil, inclination …
- The vitivinicultural practices used for its elaboration.
These 4 elements are what we call Terroir in French and that is so often used in the description of a wine to define its expression.
What’s inside a wine bottle?
The wine has many components although we can say that there is 1 main, curiously, water. In addition to this wine contains alcohol, acids, sugars and other components that we will expand.
Wine and Health
Wine, which could be considered food because of its historical importance in the diet and its origin, is considered an alcohol even if it is of low alcohol content and, therefore, as everything requires a moderate consumption.
Thanks to its high polyphenol content, red wine eliminates free radicals and protects the heart.
There are some recommendations for a moderate consumption of low risk:
- Up to 2 units of alcohol per day for women.
- Up to 3 units of alcohol per day for men.
- No more than 4 units of alcohol at one time.
- Pregnant women, people who take certain medication or who must operate machinery should avoid drinking alcohol.
* 1 unit of alcohol represents 10 g of pure alcohol
Around the world of wine there is a terminology that accompanies both the descriptions of the wine in a tasting and the process of elaboration, vineyard, etc.
Throughout our publications we will see this vocabulary but the important thing in wine is to enjoy it and describe it according to your personal perception since precisely that terminology, which sometimes can be too technical for the public, can cause rejection or frustration when What it is about is to be able to enjoy wine.